...so that through two unalterable factors in which God could not be lying,
we who have fled to him might have a vigorous encouragement to grasp
the hope held out to us. This is the anchor our souls have,
as sure as it is firm, and reaching right through inside the curtain,
where Jesus has entered as a forerunner on our behalf... Hebrews 6:18-20 (NJB)

Friday, November 2, 2012

A Tin of Buttons

Found at my mother's house this past October.

Where have you been? Asked many of you. My summer, since July, had been a busy one. Mostly, my mother had emergency surgery which could have been life-threatening if not found as soon as it was. My mother has been in poor health for a number of years and since my father's sudden and most painful passing in 2008 (for all of us), she has had a broken heart. Actually, we all have. My mother is now permanently in an Assisted Living Facility and although she resisted for quite a while, she does appreciate the care she receives, good meals every day and people around her.

It was a most painful summer, but I also know God is in control. Thus, my lack of postings on this BLOG.

I needed to take a trip into South Florida to help 'clean-out' the family house, which has been sold. This also was an emotional time as many memories flooded my thoughts. One never thinks they will lose their parents, but eventually they will pass on. We tend to take our parents for granted.

While cleaning out my parent's home, I found this 'tin of buttons' that I remember from my childhood. When I opened the top, the aroma of years inside the tin flooded me and overwhelmed my senses. I immediately sat down and sorted through the tin. I remembered the red corduroy jacket buttons, I believe they once belonged to a jacket I once had as a girl. I saw other buttons that brought back memories. I know that a number of them belonged to my grandmother, who was also a seamstress.

There is another item I have longed to offer for some time. A 'Simple & Plain' shirt/blouse for teens and women. I am creating the pattern for this shirt from an old shirt of mine that I had fallen in love with. I think I will not describe it in detail as I want it to be a surprise when it is finished. Hoping to have it offered by the Springtime. Just in time for the summer months, as it is a lovely shirt for that time of year.

Yesterday I made some pies, sold a few this past week too. Called : Amish Vanilla Pie. A very yummy and unique pie that I enjoy making.


I make the Pie Crust first. Freeze overnight and before filling with the pie,
bake at 400 degrees for approx. eight minutes.

Yummy Amish Vanilla Pie.
 
Many have asked if I was Amish or Mennonite. No, I am not. But was raised near the Amish/Mennonites in Florida. The denomination I grew up in was a simple faith and my love of sewing (and cooking) was nurtured.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment